Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Simple Acts of Kindness -- Powerful Acts of Grace


19 February 2013 I have been pondering a simple act of kindness in my life, it is enfolded with love and grace which I have no words. I stand in awe of the love that we are capable of sharing one between another as we grace one another's lives with kind acts or expressions. We have no clue how what we say or do affects another person. We have the power to save a life, or to take a life with a simple word or look. The intangible energy that flows between us is real, it relays messages from one to another without words or any other form of known communication. I have been sick for the last few days. My control freak personality has been keeping me up at night as I am learning to trust God knowing that I have no control over a particular facet of my life. Insomnia sets in, the body gets tired and then I get sick. It is only a bad cold, but it has knocked me off my feet. Yesterday, I was resting, actually I was sleeping/napping. I heard a timid knock on my front door, at first I wasn't sure, then it came again. I got up and cautiously went to my door, we generally do not have visitors without prior notice, so I was hesitant as to who would be there on this day. I opened the door and there stood a dear friend with a box containing dinner for my husband and me. I felt such love that someone would care enough about me to be concerned for my health and well-being. I was over-whelmed with emotions. I expressed that no one had brought me dinner out of the blue like that and that I was extremely appreciative. I spent the evening contemplating our acts of kindness and remembering Carolyn Myss's book, Invisible Acts of Power, Personal Choices That Create Miracles. I had to search for the book to look for Carolyn's thoughts about these simple acts. I am so filled with enormous appreciation knowing that my simple acts of kindness, unbeknownst to myself have created healing in others and what goes out, always comes back. One never knows the consequences of a kind word, a touch, a helpful act has upon the recipient. Often we do things for others because it is almost automatic, which is good, yet; the impact felt by the recipient is long lasting, it goes on and on in their memory long after we have forgotten. I am also reminded of many times in my life receiving acts of kindness from others that have been so exquisitely timed that I know God works miracles by using ordinary mortals as his servants. When our children were young, there was a period of several years when on Christmas Eve, there would be a knock on our door, as we opened it, no one was there, upon looking for the person who knocked, we would look down and see an exquisite Gingerbread House, delightfully decorated and left for us to enjoy. I remember feeling disappointed when the year came that we did not receive that Gingerbread House. I knew that it was time for these loving people to share this precious gift with another family and this filled my heart with precious memories of the many years we had received such a gift of grace. Over twenty years ago, our house burned, it was extremely traumatic for us. Neither Ray nor I were working regular 'jobs'. Money was tight. We had left the house, Ray had dropped me, at my sister's to prepare for a yard sale scheduled for the next day. I received a phone call from my oldest daughter telling me that the roof of my house was on fire and I needed to go home. My sister immediately drove me home. As we approached, there were fire trucks, firemen, and many neighbors and friends in the street watching with horror at our burning house. As I got out of the car, I had a thought, "This is a great blessing." Our house fire, was indeed a great blessing. It was a symbol of God's Love for us. It was an opportunity given to us to start over in many areas of our lives, to heal and to be shown that there are no accidents and that our lives are always Divinely orchestrated for our greatest good. There are many miracles surrounding our house fire, money was generously given, help was greatly appreciated in the removal of the old house and the placing of a brand new pre-fab house on the property. Great blessings were at work in our lives, gifts of grace and witness of God's everlasting love for us. These memories still flood me with awe, the times money just showed up, at the right time and in the exact amount that was needed. Each of us have experiences like mine, my experiences are unique to me. Yours are unique to you. Your experiences of Grace are personal and come in the exact right time for you and in the exact way that you need them and they are carried to you through mortal men, inspired by an Eternal God that is full of love and grace for you. You are of great worth, you are never alone, left to your own devices. Every thought is a prayer and is heard and answered at the right time, in the right place and in the right way. Dear Ones, look back on your life and see the moments of Grace that have been gently placed along your path. Give thanks for these gifts. Look for ways to share the gift of grace with others through your own simple acts of kindness. This is a principle of health and well-being, not only for the receiver, also for the giver.

No comments:

Post a Comment